Leighton Fun Runners – Process for London Marathon Ballot for EA Members
- During mid-November the Club is invited, through the VLM website, to apply for EA affiliated places for the following year’s London Marathon.
- The number of places allocated depends on the number of LFR EA members at the date this application process goes live. The number of places is subject to change although we expect to get 1-2 places.
- The Secretary applies for the places and, once confirmation of the number of places is received, the Club can award those places via a ballot which will be held at a date determined by the Committee.
- At least two weeks’ notice of the ballot will be given via the Club’s newsletter with reminders posted on the Facebook page.
- To be eligible for a place, a member MUST be a paid-up EA member, affiliated to LFR and have been rejected for the marathon in the public ballot. Refer to LFR Operational Guidance in the Club Documents and Policies section of the LFR website which sets out further details and full eligibility criteria. Note that you will need to submit the public ballot rejection evidence to the Secretary (email@example.com) or show it to the ballot organiser – before the ballot takes place - on the night of the ballot.
- Once the ballot has taken place, the Secretary liaises with the successful recipient(s) and inputs their contact details in a VLM portal that the Secretary has access to. This triggers an email to be sent to the recipient from VLM explaining how they need to register and pay for their place. There are strict timelines in which the member must register for their place (usually towards the end of January) and the place will be lost if these are not adhered to.
- Separately, the Club may be awarded an additional place if it has fielded a team of marshals the previous year. The organiser of the LFR marshal team will verify with the VLM marshal organiser if we will receive such a place. If so, a ‘marshals place’ will be offered and those who meet the eligibility criteria below can apply for this place. Ideally this draw will take place at the same time as the main ballot. Details of the successful recipient will again be inputted into a separate portal and instructions will be sent to the recipient on how to register and pay for their place. To be eligible for the marshal ballot you must be a current club member who marshalled in the previous VLM event (so to apply for the 2019 place, a member needed to have marshalled at the VLM for the Club during the 2018 event).
- Eligible members may put themselves forward for the main EA ballot as well as the marshals ballot.
Please note: The above procedure, timings and criteria is based on the process managed by the EA and the London Marathon and is therefore subject to change at any time without notice. Changes made by the EA/London Marathon are outside of the Club’s control.