Is the gym the best option to reach your New Year fitness goals?
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” - Albert Einstein
12 January 2017: According to research, Brits are wasting £37million a year on gym memberships, exercise and slimming classes they never attend. A survey of 3,000 adults revealed that almost £500 a year is wasted on unused gym equipment items and memberships.
Furthermore, countless studies show that people who exercise or who take part in group activities are much more likely to be engaged and motivated, maintain year-on-year memberships and show higher levels of success.
At all levels of fitness, having people around you to motivate and share goals with can make them much more achievable. At the beginner level, courses like the upcoming Couch to 5K programme is perfect for those new to exercise or those getting back into it. The nine week course supports all abilities to reach a goal of running 5k – a great target for New Year fitness resolutions.
So the message is clear. Pay significantly less and be more successful in your goals. Be smart! There are huge benefits of joining a supportive environment such as a running club like Leighton Fun Runners.
Benefits of joining a running club:
- Low cost – around 10% of that of Gym membership
- Social, with regular events with like-minded people from absolute beginners to Ultra marathon/multi-discipliners - a great inclusive group of people
- Qualified coach and run leaders who can provide advice and coaching when needed
- Retail discounts at local partner running and sports goods shops
- Community spirit – LFR work closely with the local council to take part in many prestigious local events (Christmas Weekend/Queen’s 90th Birthday celebrations) and support local charities with fundraising activities.
- Fresh air is free, offers better views and provides many more feel-good endorphins.
Why did our members join?
“Joining the Leighton Fun Runners was a little daunting but I can honestly say I have never been made to feel more welcome” – Grace, 25
“Leighton Fun Runners are an amazingly friendly and encouraging group of people. All are welcome, no matter the ability, age or gender. There are no egos and everyone is made to feel like an inclusive and integral part of the club” – Paul, 45
“I joined to take in the couch to 5K initiative. Two years later, I ran my first marathon! It was definitely a positive, life changing decision.” – Debbie, 32
“I joined ‘cos I like running and socialising” - Debby, 43
More information on Leighton Fun Runners membership can be found here, and Couch to 5k starts 7pm, Monday 23rd January at Bell Close Cricket Club. The £10 fee goes to LFR charity, The East Anglian Air Ambulance and all participants will also receive a free high-vis running vest to keep them safe on the road in the winter.
Media contact: Debbie Roff, Press Officer, Leighton Fun Runners, email@example.com